[time-nuts] HP quality

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sun Sep 11 23:28:29 UTC 2011

	Six-sigma disease was all over the place, unfortunately. I spent seven years with Motorola, in their former Communications Sector, and it always felt like we spent more time on politics and "quality meetings" than we did actually doing what we were, supposedly, hired to do (fix things!)

	Boeing was just as bad, if not worse. Spent six years there, mostly in computing support. Upper management got all excited about some bizarre book called "Who Moved My Cheese?" and something equally bizarre called "Tiger Teams."

	I suppose it all meant something to the paper-pushers. To those of us on the tech/engineering side, it was worse than useless as it tended to distract from doing a good job.

	As for "ISO 9001" or whatever -- Don't even get me started!

	Keep the peace(es).

On 11-Sep-11 at 19:03 mikes at flatsurface.com wrote:

>At 05:10 PM 9/11/2011, Jim Lux wrote...
>
>>that's a classic quote from Deming
>
>Was it Deming, or the follow-lings who decided that "six-sigma" is
>really 4.5 sigma, because the former isn't realistic (or isn't
>alliterative)? A former employer put me through that BS, along with ISO
>900*, which amounts to "you can make crap, as long as you document it
>and try to do better."

>and follow the instructions there.
>
>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
>signature database 6455 (20110911) __________

>http://www.eset.com

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"Quid Malmborg in Plano..."