[time-nuts] HP quality

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sun Sep 11 23:31:54 UTC 2011

El 12/09/2011 01:03, Mike S escribió:

> Was it Deming, or the follow-lings who decided that "six-sigma" is
> really 4.5 sigma, because the former isn't realistic (or isn't
> alliterative)? A former employer put me through that BS, along with
> ISO 900*, which amounts to "you can make crap, as long as you document
> it and try to do better."

better = crappier crap? ;)

That reminds me a long history some years ago, when working for another
company that was trying to get ISO9001 and hired a consultant. This
company was working with pollution and meteorological equipment, mainly
providing custom system integration. That consultant was quite
exasperating, since his favourite example was a relay manufacturer (as
you can see... quite the same thing to make a range of relays in zillion
quantities, that to perform a custom system integration, including some
custom electronics manufacturing and software development). And in one
point, I said him exactly that phrase, that of course he was unable to
contradict. Yes, we burned it (not literally, although someone would
have liked), and he sent us a colleague as a replacement... that was
also burned by us (you know, we were then kind of young and rebel ;) ).
At the end, our boss prescinded of consultants. And yes, we got the
ISO9001 qualification then.

Regards,

Javier