[time-nuts] HP quality

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Sep 12 15:24:04 UTC 2011

Hi:

When I was working there was an on site class that lasted many weeks on
Statistical Process Control.  The initial part had to do with the
various ways of measuring groups of products and the charts to display
the data.  The idea was to get the average and standard deviation for
each group and plot those two values.  The people doing the work could
then tell when the product was out of tolerance or about to go out of
tolerance and they knew how to fix that.  It was management's job to
change the process in such a way to improve yield.

The much more interesting part of the class involved the management
implications of SPC.  It turns out that throughout my working career the
people managing the meetings never did ask the important questions.  For
more see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/Learning.shtml#Important

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke