[time-nuts] GPS Antenna

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:13:04 UTC 2011

In theory at least, a single satellite is enough to provide timing in
position hold mode.

However, that assumes you get a direct line-of-sight signal, with no
multipath.  A reflected signal has additional delay that the GPS
receiver cannot factor out if it's receiving only one satellite.  If
it is receiving many, it *might* be able to tell which ones have
multipath delays and ignore them.

A high antenna tends to have good line-of-sight reception of the
satellites, as well as receiving more of them.  The former might be
more important than the latter.

     Dave