[time-nuts] Averaging Location for Position Hold

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 22:24:48 UTC 2011

On 9/13/11 3:10 PM, gary wrote:
  since they trespassed on my
> land (undeveloped) to place a satellite cross mark for a shoot. Needless
> to say I was pissed to see the big X on google earth, though now I have
> free pointers for NEWS. The while paper had mostly rotted away.]

tangential to time nuts (since without position you don't know time)...

In some states, surveyors have an implied or explicit right of entry to
undeveloped land in order to perform their "public good" services.

i.e. if you have the first order benchmark on your property, you can't
unreasonably restrict access if your neighbor needs it to establish
their property boundary.

Naturally, people can and do argue about what's "reasonable"

In California, Penal Code 602.8 (c)(4) says that licensed surveyors are
not subject to trespass laws when enagaged in lawful surveying.  So, if
you don't give access, and the surveyor hops the fence, you can't have
him/her arrested for trespassing.

PC 602, in general, is the trespass laws.

Civil code 846.5 creates a duty for people to allow reasonable access to
surveyors without undue delay.  That's the one that says when the
surveyor asks, you have to say "ok".