[time-nuts] Making a HP 10811 and similar types better in the real world Part I

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Wed Sep 21 23:02:44 UTC 2011

That is not always as easy as it sounds.

The thermal equivalent of a "rigid body" does not exist. If you apply heat
to a block of metal at one end, it takes a while for it to propagate to
the other end. In fact, a long thin rod looks a lot more like a
transmission line than an isothermal block.

This matters because if you try and increase the loop gain, the wrap-up of
the phase shift soon reaches 180 degrees, and the thing becomes unstable
as negative FB at low frequencies becomes positive FB at higher
frequencies.

-John