[time-nuts] seeking a time/clock software architecture

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 17:40:51 UTC 2011

On 9/23/11 10:25 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

> One aspect of why at least a standardized second order model would be
> nice is that it allows you to make smooth non-discontinuous changes in
> rate. the transformation from count to time would be discontinuous in
> rate of rate (i.e. it would go from zero, to something, to zero), but
> continuous in terms of rate.

The other thing that crops up all the time in the spacecraft world is
that you're always taking into account the light time propagation delay
between two ends of a link, which is varying fairly quickly.  Since the
problem of doing something like "I want my signal to arrive at a
particular time over there" crops up a lot, as does the general "I want
to measure my oscillator against the one on that other spacecraft",
something that provides a consistent computational framework (as opposed
to specifically designed for the application) might be useful.

For instance, GPS receivers have to do this calculation already, so the
whole range/range rate estimation process is built in, in order to do
the nav solution.  Each implementation probably does it a different way,
but at least the observables are reported in a standard way as RINEX
(tailored to the needs of GPS, e.g carrier phase is measured in cycles)