[time-nuts] Fast than light neutrino

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 21:06:53 UTC 2011

>Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:51:26 +1000
>From: Jim Palfreyman <jim77742 at gmail.com>
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>Subject: [time-nuts] Fast than light neutrino
>
>For those of you who may be interested, here's the paper.
>
>http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf

The path is through 730 kilometers of solid rock, so only neutrinos
will do.  And neutrinos are the least understood of particles.

If I read the article correctly, the neutrinos appear to travel 25
parts per million faster than C, which if true is still
revolutionary.  But while the result is quite significant in
statistical terms (6 sigma), 25 ppm is pretty small, and could easily
be caused by some subtle systemic error.

One assumes *very* subtle, given that none of the ~100 coauthors
could find it, and it won't have been for lack of trying.  Now the
world physics community is on the case, so it may not take all that
long.

Joe Gwinn