[time-nuts] GPS Interference Question

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Fri Sep 30 14:55:24 UTC 2011

If LightSquared deploys their high powered LTE network in the satellite band
the GPS world will become very interesting indeed.  Are LightSquared willing
to spend $20,000 to upgrade the GPS on my Skylane to a new model which
does not yet exist?

With that many transmitters we may experience areas where RF from multiple
high power transmitters creates hot spots.  In some places pieces of metal
with non Ohmic bonds will create mixing products, some of which may fall
directly within GPS bands.  These effects have not been simulated.

Who knows who the FCC is listening to - the GPS industry including millions
of current users, or those who appear to have bought under the table favor.
This could make Solyndra look like small change.  Film at 11.