[time-nuts] 1 pps correction

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:10:59 UTC 2012

The need for sawtooth correction comes from the fact that standalone GPS receivers use a standard clock oscillator that is basically fixed frequency (save for temperature and other fluctuations) and their only option is to align the desired PPS to the closest clock pulse.

Please note that the Thunderbolt does not need sawtooth correction because it uses the OCXO as its clock, and the GPS sofware can adjust its frequency of course. It is a very elegant and effective solution that was available to them because they were building an integrated GPSDO from the outset, so not only they avoided the problem altogether, but they also saved an oscillator in the process.

It seems to me that if standalone GPS timing receivers used a VCXO instead of a fixed frequency clock, the cost delta would not be that significant, and they too could avoid the need for sawtooth correction.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...