[time-nuts] 60Hz More or Less

Randy D. Hunt randy_hunt960 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 00:27:00 UTC 2012

On 4/1/2012 3:18 PM, Ed Mersich wrote:
> My Heathkit, and other AC clocks have been broken for months now. I started
> a project to figure out how bad it was. It's getting interesting as I am
> approaching my goal of coding a software emulation of an AC line clock.
> During the process I developed a couple of web pages to help me understand
> the problem better. Frequency meter:
> http://wa6rzw.homelinux.net/addon/grid/gauge/hertz.html
>
> Grid history graph:
> http://wa6rzw.homelinux.net/addon/grid/graph/wgraph_1.html
>

> The meter requires a real HTML5 browser, anything but MSIE.
>

> When I started this my goal was to provide an external reference source to
> the Heathkit CG-1005, so that it will keep correct time.  Since I began I
> have considered a number of hardware solutions to correct or modify the
> Heathkit.  I think I am dragging my feet because there are no replacement
> clock chips (in case of disaster,) to be found for this model. At the moment
> I am thinking about modifying a DC-AC inverter and syncing it to an audio
> oscillator, (don't laugh, my Heathkit 30 year old audio generator is way
> better, more stable, than the grid).
>

> 73, Ed - WA6RZW

I used to have a webpage bookmarked where they did this.  The author of
the page hooked up a hydrogen maser to an HP3325b set to 60 Hz then
drove an HP bipolar amplifier with the 3325 to drive a mechanical flip
clock at 100 VAC @ 60.000000 Hz.  Interesting page, is billed as Worlds
most accurate mechanical clock.  OBTW, he had several HP cesiums
available too. . .

Randy, KI6WAS