[time-nuts] Thoughts on lightning protection measures....

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Thu Apr 12 14:39:57 UTC 2012

A very efficient solution would be to get the signal/power conducting
cables out of the lightning path - that means a GPS receiver near the
antenna, with a local power supply (photo cell panels / buffer
accumulator) and signal transmission over optical fiber. Quite feasible,
as a GPS Rx has low power requirements.
If the delay from receiver to the disciplined oscillator is critical, or
too high, a compensation scheme comes to mind - 2 identical optical
paths in a loop, with the sent pps signal phase adjusted so that the
received GPS pps is centered between the sent and the looped one.

Regarding the TBs, even if they are the only ones directly connected to
the antenna, the cable is already punching through the house Faraday
cage, and chances are quite high that the lightning discharge won't stop
at them.