[time-nuts] Re-radiating a GPS signal...??

jmfranke jmfranke at cox.net
Thu Apr 12 15:53:42 UTC 2012

David's comment on the direct and retransmitted signals is right on point.
You are creating a multipath environment with increased signal strength and
matching polarization. Even with no amplification between the antennas, you
are generating multipath signals for you and your neighbors.

Advocating signal repeaters is very dangerous. With out proper bandpass
filtering and path isolation you are inviting trouble from feedback
oscillation, both in-band and out of band. You may not even be aware of out
of band effects. If not done properly, including taking in account seasonal
variation of vegetation, possible effects of someone moving lawn furniture
around or even vehicular motion changing the feedback path, the results
could be disastrous. You could be the owner of an intermittent jammer,
interfere with GPS and/or other signals, and possibly receive a visit from
the authorities. Look at the problems that where caused by oscillating TV
peamplifiers radiating from a marina on the west coast. Retransmitting with
a different output frequency is a different issue and may be a better
approach.

John  WA4WDL