[time-nuts] Thoughts on lightning protection measures....

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Fri Apr 13 17:39:10 UTC 2012

Chuck,

You and Atilla must be right!   when the basement for my home was dug I
pounded in four standard eight foot plated ground rods horizontally just a
few inches above the concrete footing which means they're down nearly six
feet.   I happen to respect a lot of the ideas of my maternal grandfather so
I also have what might be called a "classic" lightning rod system with
appropriate ground rods.   While I do not claim to have some of the
suggested elements of a "ground field" I do have more than 20 additional
grounding points that accompany my ham radio antennas.  And I learned about
the wisdom of having "home perimeter grounding" too late to install that but
all wiring in the house is metallic: EMT, greenfield or BX.   So I think I
have some elements of that as well.  Anyway, while my neighbors, also living
on the hill, have lost numerous TV sets, etc. I have never had a single loss
to what I could plainly see was lightning.   Even though a tree less than 30
feet from the house took a direct strike which killed the tree!  Whenever
the power company appears for whatever reason they always check my "ground."
They haven't complained yet!

No, I'm no fool, when a storm is predicted or I hear the first faint thunder
rumble all antennas and "sensitive stuff" power is disconnected.  I've seen
pieces of homes disappear when Old Mother Nature uses that particularly
destructive tool of hers!

Lee Mushel   K9WRU