[time-nuts] Lucent 40 dB Antenna

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Apr 14 01:33:52 UTC 2012

Gary wrote:

>Most of those no antenna rules can't be enforced. They can control
>the color of the antenna. Yes, really. For example, CONUS, you can
>have any number of 1 meter dishes. You might have to paint the dish.

I believe Gary is referring to the FCC's OTARD (Over-the-Air
Reception Devices) Rule, 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000, which (with some
exceptions) preempts local restrictions that impair the installation,
maintenance, or use of antennas used to receive video programming or
certain point-to-point wireless signals (e.g., wireless "last mile"
Internet service).  However, it does not preempt local restrictions
on antennas used for GPS, AM or FM broadcast reception, SWL,
satellite radio, etc., etc.

For a quick guide to the OTARD Rule, see
<http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule>.

Best regards,

Charles