[time-nuts] Antenna restrictions [was Lucent 40 dB Antenna]

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Apr 14 04:06:48 UTC 2012

 >For a quick guide to the OTARD Rule, see
<http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule>.

Interesting!  Now I know I was right and my landlord was wrong, when they made
me tear down my DBS dish.  But now I own a house.

For the Amateur Radio service there is also the PRB-1 federal preemption, which
covers actions of local governments, but not private parties such as condo
associations.  Some states have extended it to such, and the ARRL is actively
trying to get the remaining states to follow suit.

http://www.arrl.org/prb-1

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=prb-1&id=amateur&page=1

Who wants to make a test case to see if a working timebase or frequency
standard, in the form of a GPSDO, is or might be necessary for proper operation
of the Amateur Radio station? :-)  The Amateur service does have rules governing
frequency accuracy, after all, and how are you supposed to know?  A judge might
say "buy a commercial transmitter", but that (arguably) violates an important
principle of the Amateur Radio service.

Then again, put up an Amateur antenna, and stick your GPS mushroom on top.
They'd never know.