[time-nuts] Antenna Restrictions...

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Apr 16 13:49:01 UTC 2012

Bill Hawkins wrote:
> I can tell you that the vent stack exists solely to prevent siphoning
> water out of J and P traps while water is running.

You could tell me that, but your statement would be in error.

To wit, were it not for the stack vents, houses with septic systems (which
because of their being buried, are sealed to the outside air), would have
smelly sewer gas bubbles blow out of the water traps every time you flushed
the loo.

But, to help steer this unfortunate misdirection of the thread back on
topic, I will reiterate:

The stack vent is not a safe place to put sensitive electronics.  The
vented sewer gas is quite corrosive, and can render your electronics
inert.

If you want to use a vent like structure as camouflage for a GPS antenna,
go to your local big box store, buy a roof seal, and a short piece of PVC
drain pipe.  Nail it to some likely looking position on your roof, and
nobody, save for possibly a plumber, will ever guess that it doesn't
belong there.   You could even mount a bullet antenna on top of the stack,
and most would assume it was just some sort of protective cap to keep the
birds out.

-Chuck Harris