[time-nuts] Chinese Scopes (was: Re: LORAN-C at MIT)

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Mon Apr 16 18:07:45 UTC 2012

> jfor at quikus.com said:
>> Going through layer after layer of ever more obtuse menus is just not
>> 'user
>> friendly' to me. Maybe it is to the designers, because they are used to
>> 10,000+ character alphabet?
>
> How much of that is because you want to use fancy features that didn't
> even exist on older scopes?

Older 'scopes didn't NEED to re-allocate memory, or use "peak" modes to
avoid sampling artifacts.

> Here is an example:  The switch from small/fast to big/slow memory is
> buried
> deep in a menu.  That's better than cluttering up the box with another
> button.
>

> My Rigol DS1102E has 6 knobs, 17 dedicated push buttons, and 5 menu
> buttons.
>
> One of the knobs is trigger level.  2 are horizontal scale and position.
> 2
> are vertical scale and position.  The 6th knob is for the current menu
> item.
>
> The vertical knobs are shared by both input channels.  If you want to
> adjust
> the other channel you have to poke a button first.  Sure, I'd prefer 2
> more
> knobs.  I can live with this.  It's not obvious how to fit in 2 more
knobs if you did decide that was important.  Making the box an inch
wider looks like the obvious way.

> Glancing at my old Tek 465, the thing that I think I would miss most is
> the
> AC/DC coupling switch on the input.  I won't miss the Focus knob. :)
>
> Neither scope has an optional 50 ohm terminator on the inputs.

All Tek 'scopes have AC/DC/GND,and some have trace identify. 50 Ohm is
easy with a throughy terminator.

-John