[time-nuts] Rigol scopes

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:56:18 UTC 2012

That's why the default mode for a DSO should always be "pulse detect" or whatever the manufacturer calls it, unless you know what you are doing. As far as I know, all DSOs have this or an equivalent mode where the ADC runs at full speed regardless of sweep speed, and the min and max readings between two display points are stored. If you are in a condition that would otherwise result in aliasing, the trace will look like a big fat trace, just like on an analog scope if you are probing a 10MHz signal at 1mS/div.

You get the same issue with an analog sampling scope, except that those don't have a "pulse detect" mode, so they WILL lie to you unless you know what you are doing. It is not a "digital storage" issue, it is a sampling issue.

To summarize, the instrument you have is ALWAYS more useful than the one you don't have, no exceptions.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...