[time-nuts] Chinese Scopes (was: Re: LORAN-C at MIT)

cfo xnews3 at luna.dyndns.dk
Wed Apr 18 18:06:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:27:32 -0400, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

> It works well, but one thing that annoys me is a flicker on the screen
> at fast (less than a few microsecond) sweep speeds.  I emailed Rigol US
> about it, but never had a response so don't know if it's normal or not.
>   My Tek 2012 (almost identical form factor as the Rigol, by the way)
> doesn't show the flicker.

That flicker is a known issue with one of the firmware revisions.
Solutions exists on eevblog.

I have 2 rigols 50Mhz (ds1052e) & 100Mhz (ds1102e), and a TEK TDS-320.
After i got the rigols , i hardly ever turn on the TEK.
(Earprotection required when the TEK is on , and i just turn it on if i
doubt the rigols , witch has been wrong until now).

I like the rigols , and after it became "publicly known" that the 50Mhz
and the 100Mhz was same hardware. Rigol dropped the price on the
ds1102e , to around +50$ , compared to the ds1052e.
The ds1052e was limited to 50Mhz by it's model number in the firmware ,
but 2 simple commands via USB or RS-232. Would change the model & serial
number , and on next boot you had a 1102e.

Rigol has tried to prevent that in newer firmwares , but the guys at
eevblog keeps modding firmwares , so you're allowed to downgrade to the
version that can change the model & SN.

That said , today i'd prob. pay the +50$ for an "original" 100Mhz.

On the "More expensive scopes" , i have seen several.
Choosing Hameg scopes instead of HP , due to function & prices.

http://jeelabs.org/2011/12/21/getting-an-oscilloscope-part-2/
http://jeelabs.org/2011/12/22/my-scope-story-conclusion/
http://jeelabs.org/2012/04/06/hameg-scope-update/

CFO - Tnut Beginner Denmark