[time-nuts] Rigol scopes

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:22:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:38:52 -0500, Bob Smither <smither at c-c-i.com>
wrote:

>On 04/17/2012 06:38 AM, Robert Atkinson wrote:
>> I quite like the HP 546xx series 'scopes. An "analog like" interface but good
>> DSO facilities. My regular 'scope at home is a 54645D mixed signal. Ideal for
>> lower speed logic/anlog circuits and 8 bit PICs. Takes up a lot less space
>> than a 16500x logic analyser! I still keep an older analog 'scope tucked away
>> though.
>
>Agreed.  I have two of the 54645Ds - my favorite scopes.  I added the 54657A
>module to one of them - gives it GPIB, more storage, and more measurements (FFT,
>waveform math, ...)

My favorite oscilloscope is my 2230.  I did not buy a Rigol because as
far as I was able to determine, they do not support single shot peak
detect.

>I also have Tek 7000 and 5000 series analog scopes, along with a older Tek
>digital (Oh! - am I becoming a collector? :-).  These mainly gather dust these days.

The more I use my 7000 series oscilloscopes the more I like them. 7A13
differential amplifiers allow safe probing of offline switching power
supplies, the dual independent time bases can trigger from and view
separate asynchronous signals, and the samplers while tricky to use
are great for high speed design.