[time-nuts] Sub mm measurements with gps timing antennas?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 19:02:45 UTC 2012

Just brainstorming here, but how about this un-conventional approach:

Use a CSAC as a precise frequency reference for the LEA-6T. CSAC should
operate at <0.12W, I know, that's a lot, but maybe just worth a  try.

To make the CSAC work, multiply the 10MHz up to the 26MHz the LEA uses.
Then place a small antenna loop around the LEA part to injection-lock the
internal 26MHz TCXO to the external antenna. That may work, or not.

Or unsolder the LEA-6T metal shield, and remove the TCXO, and replace it
with the externally generated stable 26MHz, then re-solder the shield. That's
 cheaper than buying 2000pcs reels from uBlox.

It would be interesting to see how much more accurate the unit would become
 with a stable 26MHz rather than a low-cost 26MHz TCXO.

AND: you can use the 1PPS output of the LEA-6T to actually discipline the
CSAC to GPS :)

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/25/2012 11:42:52 Pacific Daylight Time,