[time-nuts] PICTIC II ready-made?

Jerry Mulchin jmulchin at cox.net
Fri Apr 27 19:03:20 UTC 2012

You might want to take a look at the Atmel XMEGA parts. Far more capabilities
than the ATMega parts.

Brief description:
• Atmel AVR CPU - Clock speed to 32MHz
• Memories
• DMAC - Direct memory access controller
• Event system
• System clock and clock options
• Power management and sleep modes
• System control and reset
• Battery backup system
• WDT - Watchdog timer
• Interrupts and programmable multilevel interrupt controller
• PORT - I/O ports
• TC - 16-bit timer/counters
• AWeX - Advanced waveform extension
• Hi-Res - High resolution extension
• RTC - Real-time counter
• RTC32 - 32-bit real-time counter
• USB - Universial serial bus interface
• TWI - Two-wire serial interface
• SPI - Serial peripheral interface
• USART - Universal synchronous and asynchronous serial receiver and transmitter
• IRCOM - Infrared communication module
• AES and DES cryptographic engine
• CRC - Cyclic redundancy check
• EBI - External bus interface
• 12-BIT ADC - Analog-to-digital converter
• 12-BIT DAC - Digital-to-analog converter
• AC - Analog comparator
• IEEE 1149.1 JTAG interface
• PDI - Program and debug interface

These parts are a little more than the ATMega parts by a few dollars, but oh so much
more capability. Studio 5 is now a very nice IDE to work with albeit for Windows only.
But all the same tools that you use under most development environments are useful
with the XMega parts as well. Atmel also provides a very nice library for these parts,
and works nicely under GNU tools.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Jerry - N7EME