[time-nuts] Trimble recommends RG-59 Antenna Cable.

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 06:23:45 UTC 2012

Hi Ken,
This is correct. Some other documents explain the rationale. Basically for long runs the loss caused by the mismatch is less than the higher loss per foot of 50R coax of a similar size. Even better than RG59 is the high performance cable used for cable TV and satellite installations. This is cheap and low loss at 1.5GHz. This also also explains the F connector on the Thunderbolt. It would also be intersting to measure the actual impedance of some GPS receivers and antennas.

Robert G8RPI.