[time-nuts] Sw for pm6680B

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 30 15:55:38 UTC 2012

Hi Pierre-Francois,

On 04/30/2012 04:57 PM, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Pierre-Francois
>
> Assuming yours is the Ebay item I think it is, I was wondering  who bought
> that and see there's another due to finish in a couple  of hours or so:-)
>
> The Fluke PM6680B is a rebadged Pendulum CNT-80, Pendulum now being part of
>   Spectracom.
> Both Fluke and Tektronix, and perhaps others, have offered rebadged
> Pendulum counters and TimeView too was originally a Pendulum product.

Pendulum came out of Philips Industrier AB in Järfälla, which was the
remaining part of that development firm that got part of Philips/Fluke.
Fluke actually maintained the good old Philips Measurement (PM) IDs, so
saying they where rebadged is a bit of a missnomer.

It is indeed the same counter. The CNT-90 and CNT-91 exists in Tektronix
rebadged form as 3000 and 3100 (forgot the prefix). Good stuff.

> Whilst time limited trial versions of TimeView have been widely available I
>   don't know if these are supplier specific, ie whether or not the Tektronix
>   version I have will work with other rebadged units or even with the
> Pendulum  originals.
> Either way, each supplier seems to offer it's own branded version of
> TimeView and these have always been very expensive, I've never seen it  available
> second hand but suspect registration might not be transferable  anyway.

While TimeView is a separate product and quite nice, it is becoming more
and more obsolete as TimeLab starts to support a wider range of counters
(again).

> As Bjorn has pointed out, John Miles' TimeLab supports the PM6680B and that
>   would certainly seem to be your best option.

Indeed try that first. TimeLab seems to work very nicely with the PM6681
that Björn has.

I haven't tried the latest and greatest of TimeView, so I will try it.
Would be nice to know how them match up to each other.

Cheers,
Magnus