[time-nuts] web presentation of data

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 13:45:28 UTC 2012

On 8/6/12 10:43 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> what would be useful is to have some sort of "plotting engine" that is a
>> canned webpage (or stored locally on the user/client computer) that can
>> ingest fairly raw data from a URL..
>>
>> something, conceptually, like this:
>>

>> <BODY>
>> *invocation of plotting engine*
>>
>> data value 1
>> data value 2
>> data value 3
>>
>> </BODY>
>>

> What you are saying is that the data needs to be rendered to a graphic
> locally.   I think the simplest way is to create vector based plots on the
> server (I've used GNU Plot inside a CGI script) but there is a system to
> pretty much what you are asking for.  http://code.google.com/p/flot/

Somehow, I don't think running Gnuplot on a Arduino is feasible.  ABout
all it can do is respond to the HTTP "Get" with the right page.

That's why I want to push the hard work of doing the rendering onto the
client (i.e. the browser).  The comm link is fast, and an SD card on the
Arduino can hold tons of stuff, so serving a page containing 100kbytes
of Java or similar isn't a problem.  But doing any computation is
probably not in the picture.