[time-nuts] What size graphs do people like? (How big is yourscreen?)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 8 04:32:45 UTC 2012

phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:
> That is _exactly_ why you should use a vectorformat like SVG: Raster format
> is a waste of bytes for line graphics.

Except that it doesn't work that way, at least for my simple test case.

SVG is uncompressed text.  PNG compresses well, at least for simple cases.

PNG, 8K:
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-800x600.png

SVG, 46K:
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-800x600.svg

(It doesn't work right in my browser.  It shows up as type text/plain rather
than image/svg. I don't know if that's my screwup or a bug in my ISP's web
server.)

It works OK if I download it and view it with Firefox from my disk.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.