[time-nuts] FTS 1200

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Fri Aug 10 15:27:28 UTC 2012

Hi Bert,

I see on the data sheet that the tuning voltage is supposed to be -10 to
+10 volts and that the supply voltage is +22 to +30 volts.  I suspect
that one side of the varactor is supposed to be biased at one half of
the supply voltage.  But in your case, it looks like that bias is now at
zero volts due to an internal short - either a short between traces or,
more likely, a capacitor failure.  When you apply a positive voltage,
you're changing the DC voltages in the oscillator circuit which disrupts
the oscillator.

When you apply a positive voltage to the EFC lead, is there a current
flow into the lead?  Since a varactor is always supposed to be
reverse-biased there shouldn't be any current.

Ed