[time-nuts] T-Bolt output harmonics

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Aug 12 11:46:56 UTC 2012

Hi Grant --

Welcome!

I'd say you're doing OK; most frequency standards don't put a lot of emphasis on harmonic purity in the specs.  Better than 45dB down is pretty good, and not much T&F gear is highly sensitive to harmonics.

I would *not* add a bandpass filter unless you really need to.  Every tuned circuit is a thermometer, and inserting a BPF will increase the tempco of your system.  If you absolutely need to reduce the harmonics further, it's better to do that with shunt traps at the harmonic frequencies.  That way their tempco will have much less impact on the phase of the fundamental.

John