[time-nuts] L1 GPS timing signal(s) into local time on computer(s)

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:11:59 UTC 2012

Another option is a "low end" laptop.

I use a Dell D400 laptop, with a 1.8GHz Pentium M and it draws about 20W from A/C with the display blanked, which is the way an NTP server will be most of the time.

The power brick rating assumes running the laptop AND charging the battery at the same time. The D400 comes with a 60W power brick.

Yet, it comes fully packaged with a hardware serial port and when you need to do anything with it, there is no need to hunt for a monitor or a keyboard, and they have built-in battery backup. Try to configure your Atom board similarly and see how much money and time you spend.

I have 4 of those at home, they are workhorses.

They can be found on Ebay for well under $100.

Didier KO4BB

--
Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do other things.