[time-nuts] NMEA Software

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:20:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Rick Karlquist <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
> I have an Outback S-Lite tractor GPS with a serial port with NMEA.
> Is there ready-to-use software to read out in lat/long
> from this port?  Maybe I can talk to it with hyperterminal
> and make it just keep sending lat/long once per second or
> something.  Is there a command set?

NMEA is simply ASCII data that you can read from a terminal or save to
a file.  The GPS will write out the same set of lines every second.
On some GPSes you can control whthe subset of lines that are written
to cut down the clutter.

To the OP.  The Oncore type GPSes use a non-NMEA format that is binary
and not human readable but I think can be put into "NMEA Mode" and
then the above applies.

Also, the NMEA format is documented in an expensive book that is
copyrighted by NMEA but you can find descriptions on-line if you use
Google.  Motorola's format is well docmented in free PDF files you can
download
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California