Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 04:11:06 UTC 2012

On 12/30/12 11:35 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:53:51 -0800
> Said Jackson <saidjack at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Volker, I wonder if you also see fan-induced spurs in the phase
>> noise from 1Hz to 100Hz. I would not be surprised if the fan
>> vibration adds significant spurs to the 10811A crystal.
>
> How susceptible are OCXOs on magnetic fields?
> Most fans (even "computer" fans) have a quite strong, changing field.
> Or is that insignificant compared to other sources of noise?

the oscillator itself probably has low sensitivity, but stuff around it
doesn't: if you're measuring Allan dev..There are the usual concerns
about residual magnetism in the crystal holder causing it to move
slightly as the field changes.

When designing the system to do coherent two way ranging to the Juno
spacecraft orbiting Jupiter, we found that the rotating magnetic field
(because the spacecraft spins at 2RPM in Jupiter's magnetic field) was
enough to modulate the circuits that track the received signal and
generate the transmitted signal ( basically a PLL)...

This is if you're trying to get ADEV < few parts in 1E16 at 1000 sec, etc.