[time-nuts] Building a GPSDO & trouble using Jupiter-T

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Feb 1 09:29:32 UTC 2012

Chris,

Most of the high-end GPS receivers offer faster rates than 1 Hz.
This is required for RTK work, for example. It is not interpolation.

It is hard and accurate and wonderful and expensive. Remember
there is a lot of information in the phase and doppler of both the
code and the carrier (both L1 and L2), not to mention combined
data from both GPS and GLONASS so the update rate is limited
more by market forces and cpu power.

It is not hard to find receivers that output new calculated positions
every 5 or 10 or even 20 or 50 Hz, for a price. Google for words
like: GPS RTK L1 L2 update rate

See for example the receivers at javad.com (100 Hz solutions).

/tvb