[time-nuts] IEEE1588

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 1 16:26:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:09:08 -0200
Daniel Mendes <dmendesf at gmail.com> wrote:

> All this talk about microcontrollers and IEEE1588 made me get out of the
> shadow to ask:
>
> 1) Are you talking about IEEE1588-2002 or IEEE1588-2008? The former has
> no use to me, but the later could replace some GPSs in a system i´m
> designing...

I don't know :-) I haven't had an indepth look at IEEE 1588 yet.
As i said, i want to build an experimentation plattform, hence it
should allow to do certain things that are otherwise not easily
possible. And if there are uC's around that are capable of doing
IEEE 1588, i'd like to use one instead of a standard uC. The price
difference for a single part is too little to justify not using it :)

But, as i said, i havent had a look at it yet, mostly because if
the hardware supports it, it's a software problem. And software can
be written later ;)

> 2) If you intend to play with IEEE1588-2008, do you know any affordable
> source of data? (I think they call them grandmasters or something like
> that).

No, but my intend would be to build such a device. I don't know
if i get that far to implement IEEE 1588, but that's the intent.
I guess the biggest difficulty there would be to have the hardware
to verify the correct working of the system. Especially as there
are no "affordable" reference devices available.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?