[time-nuts] GPS SDR (was: FE-.5680A trimming resolution)

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 21:11:02 UTC 2012

Being divorced and no children writing a large check is neither a problem
nor a challenge. To me the challenge is to find solutions that are
affordable  and work for every body. Sadly there is very little interest or emphasis
in this  group on this. An example the $ 10 Loran C simulator that Paul and
I build and  tested, turning obsolete Loran C Receivers in to high
resolution frequency  displays. Many other projects off list.
The way I understand it the discussion on GPS receivers, in this thread
started looking for a solution for the FE 5680A. To look at the proper
configuration, first there has to be a good understanding of the Rb. Aging will
determine the update rate of the Rb. Second the choice has to be made if
digital  or analog frequency control will be implemented. Digital dither or no
dither.  With out dither we are talking 3 E-13  setability. Enough? Some one
has to test how the Rb reacts to dither. Right now I se a 4 to 5 Hz control
loop  in my tests. Analog 1 E -14 is no problem. With aging and step
requirement a  loop can be defined. Being Rb, it can be a long loop which will
reduce  requirements of the GPS receiver and most likely issues like
ionospheric delays  will play a roll. That is the time to ask the question what does
the GPS  receiver have to be.
All the other chatter should be part of a different thread because it may
confuse some of the readers.
How many FPGA's are running and can be copied by members?
Many have bought FE 5680 A and have no idea how their individual unit
performs. I have seen 8 E-10 off frequency.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 2/1/2012 2:47:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,