[time-nuts] ANFSCD - Synchronizing time in home video recorders

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 2 19:07:02 UTC 2012

One can do many things with a small micro having programmable logic cells, such
as the Cypress PSOC. For grins I worked out (via spreadsheet) how to use the
PSOC digital divider blocks and the built-in clock PLL to get from 10MHz to
2.048MHz in a fairly precise manner. The scheme uses a divider switched between
adjacent moduli (ala the TVB method?) to produce a low frequency that, upon
multiplication by the clock PLL, gives an integer multiple of 2.048MHz. Not
having actually done it there are 2 questions: 1) Can the 24MHz VCO be pulled to
24.576MHz? and 2) Can the PLL track periodic jitter of about 0.7%. Since there
are trimming bits for the VCO I suspect yes to #1, and some sort of passive low
pass filter (PI or ladder network?) would reduce the jitter if #2 is a problem.

Here's the approach:

Feed 10.000000 MHz to an 8 bit digital divider block
divide by 149 for 237 of 256 times
divide by 148 for  19 of 256 times
net divide of 148.92578125 to 1 results
divide result by 2 in an 8 bit digital divider block
(in order to get a good square wave)
net divide of 297.85156250 to 1 results at output pin
get 33573.77049 Hz, feed over to Ext Osc Input pin
PLL of 732x is part of PSOC
thus sysclk  24.576000 MHz results
and sysclkx2 49.152000 MHz results
divide sysclkx2 by 12 in an 8 bit digital divider block
divide result by    2 in an 8 bit digital divider block
(in order to get a good square wave)
Final frequency of 2.0480000 MHz results to output pin

FWIW the result is spot on, at least to the limits of my calculation tools.

Bob L.