[time-nuts] FE5680 missing PPS soln

John Lofgren jlofgren at lsr.com
Thu Feb 2 21:05:40 UTC 2012

I did the same thing when I first tested mine.  I mounted the regulator and a pair of SMA jacks right to the board it came with using the big board copper as the heat sink for the regulator.  I didn't want to build a driver for the LED so I wired it directly (with resistor, of course).  Dim and logic low was way up at 2.3 volts.

I solved the problem using a high efficiency LED (P/N C503B-RCS-CW0Z0AA1 from Digi-Key).  It's running at a bit over half a mA using a 6.2k resistor to the 5 V supply.  Now the logic low level is at about 700 mV (still a bit high) and the PPS output works.  The LED is bright enough to see from way across the lab.  The current generation of LED chemistries is really impressive.

-John