[time-nuts] Using digital broadcast TV for timing?

jerryfi jerryfi_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 00:38:08 UTC 2012

A bit off topic, but historically related....  back in the 70's, I tapped off the color burst

oscillator in my TV (a Heathkit) to get a 3.579545.... MHz  (315/88 MHz) source to

calibrate my homebrew frequency counter. The TV's color burst oscillator was phase

locked to the color burst signal on the broadcast signal  (which was on the "back

porch" of the hori sync signals).  Supposedly, the networks were locked to Cesium

standards traceable to NBS for LIVE broadcasts, such as news and sports.  Taped

programs, of course, were not usable as an accurate source.  In any case, that signal
served my purposes at the time (providing a reference for calibrating my counter that
was more accurate than anything else available to me).

I'm not sure if, what, or where analog TV is still broadcast, but I think there are still a

few stations (low power) around.  You might still be able to use that signal, IF you can

dig it out of your old analog TV.  ;-)  I do have analog tv's hooked up to my cable

box - I suspect that live broadcasts would still have an accurate color burst, so maybe....

I think the other methods discussed here (ie, GPS) would provide easier and more

reliable timing sources. ;-)

Trying to locate the appropriate signal(s) in a digital TV today would be interesting.

Just as a historical aside.....

Jerry Finn
Santa Maria, CA