[time-nuts] Fwd: FE-5680A Contact FEI

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 17 14:43:00 UTC 2012

On 2/17/12 5:27 AM, paul swed wrote:
> The used market makes no difference to them. No revenue stream.
> In fact I would say you are swatting at the behive. It would be wise to
> leave them alone since several have reached out and already had a poor
> experience.
> As someone else pointed out this is what gets manufactures to demand
> crushing or drilling holes etc. Further the very hard work being done by
> this group to understand these units can be at risk if FEI decides to
> really get cranky.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL

A lot of companies don't provide docs on request because it costs
significant money to do so, and provides little bottom line return.
Someone has to dig in the files for the old drawings, which are almost
certainly marked "proprietary" (on general principle).  Then, they have
to through some sort of redaction/release process to make sure it's not
dangerous, illegal, or unwise to release it.

None of which contributes much to their bottom line, and more
particularly, none of this helps the engineer stuck with it get his or
her deliverables done on schedule and on budget.

Net result is, unless you have a friend in the company who's willing to
invest some time for free, it isn't going to happen, if it's not a
standard policy.

As Paul pointed out, this is probably not perceived as a revenue stream.