[time-nuts] How best to exchange Large files?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:48:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
<caf at omen.com> wrote:
> After collecting a new set of data, I need to create a new directory
> to receive those files.  I stop Kismet, restart the wifi supplicant,
> log into my Linux server, create the new directory, cd to it,
> and transfer the files with the ZMODEM delete source on successful
> transfer option.

What a complex setup!  Can't you user some of the Linux server's disk
space and write the files directly to that disk?   Seems that would be
much better.

I used to use a story about how an amateur mason builds a brick
wall....  He goes to Home Depot and loads bricks on the cart, pushes
the cart through the checkout and unloads into his pickup truck,
drives home and unloads the truck on the driveway.   Later he restacks
the bricks near where the wall is to be built.   Then one by one takes
bricks off the stack and places them on the wall.   He lifts every
brick five times

The professional has the brick company deliver the bricks three feet
from where the wall is to be built.  He lifts each brick once. (and
likely pays less for the bricks)

I've used this story in data processing system designs when I see
people moving data around.     I say "think, where is the final place
you want your data.  Then just put it there to begin with and be done
with it."

So, just open some kind of connection and put the data where it goes.
Even a little Arduino has more then enough power for that.

(Yes I actually did the brick wall the wrong way, once.  Never again.)

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California