[time-nuts] CCD lock detection (was: DIY Physics Article)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 22 18:19:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:14:34 -0700
Tom Knox <actast at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Rather then a simple lock LED I think what would be interesting if possible
> to place a CCD next to a Rubidium or Cesium cell to  view the luminance at
> the hyperfine transiton. I am sure someone has done this but I have not
> seen it.

I dont think this is easily possible. You have the CCD operating in a strong
electromagnetic field which will disturb it quite a bit. Though i think
one could try to use one of the modern CCD like the OVM7690 (a tiny little
thing of just 2.5x2.5x2.9mm^3 and quite cheap too!) and mount it in some
empty corner that has little to no field.

The other problem would be to see the luminance trough the strong
background. IIRC the "modulation" strength of the absortion is 1-2%
of the singal. So the luminance would be quite weak behind some strong
background light as well.

But it would be nevertheless a cool project :-)

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?