[time-nuts] Schematic capture, anyone?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Feb 24 17:52:52 UTC 2012

Hi Bob:

I'll second the usefulness of checking the layout against the schematic.  The early versions of ExpressPCB did not have
schematic capture and even on very simple boards I ended up making patches.  http://www.expresspcb.com/
Now when you're doing the layout you can turn on checking and all the pads for the currently active note light up in a
different color.  By stepping through all the nodes you can confirm that they are all connected to each other.

I've been using ExpressPCB for a long time and for what I'm doing it's the most effective in terms of my time.  The down
side is that their free software is proprietary to their process.  You don't get to shop vendors.  In exchange you get a
very simple and easy to learn interface and an extensive library of standard parts.  It's also easy to add a custom
part.  For me the learning curve for working with something like Eagle and the different file types and conventions is
not worth the time.

I use the schematic capture to draw schematics for things where I'm not going to make a board.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.end2partygovernment.com/Brooke4Congress.html