[time-nuts] OP-Amps for 10MHz distribution...?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Feb 28 18:20:54 UTC 2012

The datasheet indicates that an input of +13dBm should be OK albeit with
somewhat more 3rd harmonic distortion (~-65dBc) in the output.
I'll unearth the prototype single transistor (2N5943) transformer
feedback discrete buffer and use it to boost the signal before the splitter.
I'll also measure its phase noise, or at least attempt to do so as its
likely to be very quiet.

The OPA653 was mounted on the TI evaluation board using its internal
feedback resistors to set the gain to 2x before the 2x attenuation
produced by the source termination and load resistors.
The board was powered by a couple of HP E3611A bench supplies.
Its likely that the low frequency power supply noise modulation of
internal opamp capacitances (and hence the output phase) is greater than
that due to opamp noise.
Measurements with quieter power supplies may be useful.

The OPA653 is a voltage feedback amplifier, a current feedback amp like
the AD8007 is likely to have a somewhat higher phase noise floor (+6dB)
due to the inverting input noise current (22.5pA/rtHz) flowing in the
feedback network resistors (2 x 500 ohm for a gain of 2 ).

Bruce