[time-nuts] OP-Amps for 10MHz distribution...?

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Feb 28 18:41:13 UTC 2012

   Discrete amplifiers are always less noisy than integrated amplifiers.
If you want really low noise design a one with JFETs and Bipolar transistors.
I am trying to understand the contribution to phase noise by the opamps.
Perhaps the "threshold" is shifting and amplifier is being driven to
saturation?
I am new to this group but have had lots of RF experience and weak signal
detection experience.
73
Bill wa4lav

>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:34:09 -0500
>From: Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us>
>
>Hi
>
>Very cool. How much power can you run through the device? Put another way,
>if you drive it with +13 dbm do all the numbers get 5 db better?
>
>I doubt very many of us will be worrying about weather it's below -153 at
>10 Hz or not?
>
>Bob
>

>On Feb 28, 2012, at 5:42 AM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
> > The attached plot indicates the phase noise performance obtainable with
> a wideband FET (OPA653) input opamp.
> > With a 10MHz +9dBm input, the phase noise floor is around -163dBc/Hz at
> 1kHz offset and around -154dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset.
> > A quieter test source would be useful particularly for offsets below 10Hz.
> >
> > Bruce
> > <OPA653PN2.gif>_______________________________________________
> > To unsubscribe, go to
> > and follow the instructions there.