[time-nuts] Used Rb Operating Lifetime

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Jan 2 01:55:35 UTC 2012

This is an interesting observation regarding the Icom radio that can be
run from one master reference. I would assume any radio which has a high
accuracy option has this feature. Looking at the block diagram of the
R-8500, this appears to be an option. For the R-7100, it looks like it
uses one oscillator for some operating modes. There is a 1GHz mixer on
the front end that can be switched in and out. That mixer is not derived
from the master.

The only reason I mention this is there are directing finding schemes
based on identical receivers but separate antennas.

The traditional diode mixer before the radio DF scheme doesn't work well
on digital signals.

Some of the more recent high end radios from AOR have this one master
oscillator scheme.