[time-nuts] Doppler Design

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 03:27:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:35:13 -0800, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:

>This is just a tweak of the older two antenna scheme. Basically it gets
>rid of the bidirectional nature of the two antenna version.
>> http://www.homingin.com/newdopant.html

Joe has a picture of me on his site if you know where to look. :)

>Signals that are heavily modulated such as trunking control channels
>don't work well with such schemes. [That part of the experiment I have
>tried. No problem though with voice modulation.]

I always thought I could improve on the Roanoke design but never had a
need to build one.  I considered using synchronous demodulation to
detect the phase instead of the narrowband switched capacitor filter
they used.  It occurs to me now that varying the switching frequency
to avoid the channel modulation would help as well.

It is possible to use 3 antennas to resolve the direction.  4 antennas
makes for an easy optimization in the design.  I have seen designs
with more than 4.

>My understanding is they use the identical radio scheme feed into a
>scope XY via demod taps. I haven't tried this since I don't have two
>identical radios that can be synched. I'm eventually going to hack some
>cheap scanners, just as the Pro-2035, and simply feed one scanner with
>the mixers from the other. This would not maintain frequency accuracy,
>but it would make the XY display possible.

Calibration is easier with a tap to the demodulator but not strictly
necessary.  I installed one on my FT-5100 for the noise meter I used.

>My assumptions is you get a 45 degree line when the antennas are equal
>distance to the transmitter.

That is what I expect.

>This is like a radio interferometer, though perhaps not in the strict
>sense. An interferometer, using an analogy to optics, would be mixing
>the received spectrum prior to any detection.

I would say it is still an interferometer.  It relies on measuring
coherent phase information.