[time-nuts] FE-5680A clock shaping (sine -> square wave)

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:28:10 UTC 2012

I could analyze it on SPICE but I suspect the real world construction
parasitics will be what limits the performance.  I just sketched it
out in my notebook but I will see if I can post it somewhere.  Is
there a quick and dirty online schematic capture site?

It is not that complicated being a differential amplifier driving
complementary pair of emitter followers, a pair of voltage clamps, and
then a pair of complementary current mirrors configured as
transconductance amplifiers.

When you say symmetry limiting do you mean to prevent second harmonic
distortion like for driving a mixer?  I was thinking of this more for
driving a single ended transmission line cleanly while maximizing the
edge rates and minimizing jitter.  Duty cycle correction could be
added pretty easily.

The circuit you linked is going to have a little problem since both
the 2N5769 and the 2N5770 are NPN and the circuit requires a pair of
PNPs.  Other than that it looks perfect for driving a high level
mixer.