[time-nuts] Power supply for 'Bay FE-5680A?

Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:24:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM, <time-nuts at custodes.info> wrote:

> Thanks, but what are people using to feed it? I'm having trouble pinning
> down power requirements. http://www.freqelec.com/rb_osc_fe5680a.html says
> 32W peak, but then also 15-18v at 700mA, which doesn't make sense. I'm still
> waiting on the slow boat from China, so I have a while to find a power
> supply.

I'm using a Mastech HY5020E* set to 15V to test mine.  Yes, complete
overkill, but it's the only supply I have that will do > 1A at 15V.  14V
would have been easy.  I supplied the 5V with a 7805 (I left the 5680
screwed to the circuit board it came on and held the 7805 down with one of
the allen screws).  BTW, the wires from the plug to the circuit board were
standard color code, matching the pin numbers, so it was really easy to
wire up by cutting and splicing the existing wires (with a little heat
shrink tubing to keep things honest).

The Mastech shows 1.8A to start, dropping to 0.8A after a few minutes,
including whatever the 7805/5V line is using.

*the HY5020E gets really confused when you turn it off.  As the voltage
drops - it seems to flip back and forth between constant current and
constant voltage modes for many seconds, blinking its displays and LEDs on
and off!

Orin, KJ7HQ.