[time-nuts] Question re neutrinos and GPS

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Fri Jan 6 23:20:13 UTC 2012

So far it seemed to me that the overall standpoint of the authoritative time-
nuts list is that the GPS timing and geografical survey of the OPERA experiment
are good (and hence experimental errors or artifacts, if any, should be
searched for elsewhere).

I myself, not being a deep GPS expert, joined this standpoint with confidence
(but indeed I could have been affected by a sentimental bias).

Now I read on another list, in which the subject is not timekeeping and from a
respectable author, that:

"The GPS is very unlikely to give an accurate speed for anything near the
speed of light - for there are many known effects not taken into account by the
GPS protocol.
In the end the OPERA experiment may alert people to the assumptions and
approximations implicit in the GPS."

This wrongfooted me. So please, does the above quoted statement have any
meaning for time-nuts? Don't answer "ask the author of the statement" please, I
would like to hear the opinion of time-nuts.

Thanks.

Antonio I8IOV