[time-nuts] Getting my Rockwell D200 GPS to work

Don Lewis dlewis6767 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 00:24:19 UTC 2012

Can someone please give me some pointers (my first time with a GPS module).

A little hand-holding, pls.

I bought three of these Rockwell D200 GPS receivers. (It's little GPS PWB
with an antenna connector and pins for connecting to the RS232- PC)

All three 'appear' to work the same way (no apparent capture of satellites).

Here's what I have:

1.	VisualGPS installed and running.
2.	A small USB-RS232 card installed and appears to be operational.
3.	Small GPS active antenna plugged in.
4.	VisualGPS monitor just repeatedly displays:
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,,,,,,,*66
5.	I think I understand this to be NMEA code to mean no satellites have
been acquired.
6.	The Rockwell D200 draws ~180ma (5V) with no antenna and ~190ma with
the small active antenna plugged in.

What am I doing wrong?  Other than maybe cheap china gps' and antenna???
But it is what I could afford and thought it would be cheap to learn on.

Thanks for your help.

-Don